Wednesday, December 28, 2011

"Off at Seneca Street" Seattle city oil painting by Robin Weiss

"Off at Seneca Street"  6x10 oil on panel  SOLD
Believe it or not I worked for three days on this 8x12 panel trying to capture the motion and feel of this familiar scene in Seattle. One of the problems I encountered was my fault for not taking time to prepare the surface of the panel properly.....only one coat of gesso!   The paint kept sinking into the wood.
  So one of the things I have been doing over Christmas break is properly preparing surfaces!....and learning from my mistakes. There may be some things you can cut corners on but it is not gesso...Three coats! Four are better..
8x12 oil on panel

2 comments:

Sarah Bachhuber Peroutka said...

This painting has a lot of punch! I feel the motion, sense of rush, and impersonality, and the sky gives a sense of hope.

Robin Weiss said...

Thank you Sarah, for that confirmation! Welcome to IPA!