Saturday, December 17, 2011

"City Under Lights" Seattle city oil painting by Robin Weiss.

I'm not sure sometimes, why I choose the scenes that I do. My wife tells me that I often pick the photographs she would never consider good painting reference. On this one I loved the glow of the leaves in the trees and on the sidewalk under the artificial light of the city at night. The challenge was to render that light convincingly. My son Maury and I were out sketching and taking pictures. That's him in the scene.
16x20 oil on canvas.sold

8 comments:

Roger Morris said...

Wow- another really nice one. It does feel like Seattle.

Martine said...

I think your painting breathes peace, nice! If this is what Seattle feels like, I'd love to go there sometime

Robin Weiss said...

Thanks Rodger!

Robin Weiss said...

Thanks for visiting Martine! Your comment is much appreciated! Seattle is a great city! Bring your umbrella and enjoy!

postcardsfromthemainline said...

This is a beauty. You are right to go with your own ideas about what to paint.

Robin Weiss said...

Thank you Nancy! I think that is the best way to find our own "voice,style" whatever you want to call it, in art. Find your inspiration and then get to work!..=]

Randy Saffle said...

It's that artist eye that sees things differently than most and finds beauty in everyday scenes.
This painting was a big undertaking, but you pulled it off.

John Philip said...

Your work is fantastic. The leaves on the sidewalk make this picture!

I'm totally hooked on Plein Air painting and sketching.